My entire life, I have loved sleeping.

I could (and sometimes still do) sleep 12 hours straight – and sometimes even more.


Of course, most weekdays, I was not able to sleep in – I had to get to school or to work.

But weekends?

God (that I don’t believe in), I lived for those weekend snooze-a-thons.

And I needed those sleep-ins – I am a night owl, and tend to stay up way past my good-for-me bedtime.

Fast forward to now.

I can sleep in later now, because I only work half days – and that’s in the afternoon.  I do try to get my weary fat old lady ass out of bed by around 9 or 9:30 (depending on how late I stayed up the night before).

Saturdays, I tend to sleep until my poor husband (who is an early riser – or at least a lot earlier than me) comes to inquire if I’m going to get up and make our customary Saturday breakfast (homemade sausage, egg and cheese muffin sandwich).  I do try to get up no later than 10, because I don’t want to sleep the whole day away – plus Saturday afternoons often include a nap-ortunity.

And Sundays, my husband wakes me up early (around 8 a.m.), so we can have breakfast.

Before the pandemic, that meant going out for breakfast.  Now, it means me either going and picking something up or having something breakfast-y I got at the store.

And again, Sunday afternoons sometimes include a nap-ortunity.

So somebody tell me why in the name of all that is holy was I wide awake before 8 a.m. last Saturday?

Yup, bright eyed and bushytailed (hey, I need a haircut, okay?) – and I had stayed up very late the night before (I think I went to bed around 2 a.m.).

Got out of bed, fed the cats – much to their confusion – I am the late night treats lady, not the breakfast person.

Bill woke up and actually got his breakfast sammich for breakfast (sometimes, it’s more brunchy, and sometimes downright lunchy).

At the time, I figured, I’d just catch a snooze in the afternoon.


I stayed upright the entire day – and of course, got my usual second wind in the late hours and stayed up way too late.


Who is this woman?


And then Sunday came, I got up early (as usual), we had breakfast and we listened to our usual Sunday podcasts – and then, because I was not feeling well (thanks allergies), I went and laid down – and I was OUT for the count.

Of course, I didn’t feel well!

I’m not some sweet young thing who can stay up to all hours and then bravely face the next day.

Those days are long behind me.

Plus, I had taken 2 Benadryls – thanks another buttload allergies.

My body wants to get up crazy early (for me, mind you) and then just keep going all day and into the late-night hours.

That body is going to pay.

So, I hope the next time my body gets all bright-eyed and bushy tailed, I hope I have the mental wherewithal to tell it to STFU and go back to sleep.


Put your teeth in Gladys, and let’s get this show on the road!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s