THIS FAT OLD LADY GOES BACK TO THE FUTURE

 

pyrex

We have a new microwave.

Our old microwave died.  Our old microwave is no more.  It has ceased to be.  It is bereft of life.  It rests in peace.

It is an ex-microwave.

Our old microwave was a very old microwave, and it served us well for many (many) years.

I was so looking forward to having a microwave where I didn’t need to add a couple of minutes (or more) to instructions in order to heat/cook things properly.

Our new microwave is a lot more powerful.  A LOT.

I am still adjusting to having all this power at my command.

I need to respect all this power.

Our new microwave has now killed a melamine plate and a Tupperware bowl.

I was heating some vegetables – following the package instructions – which said to add a couple tablespoons of water, cover, and heat 10 minutes.

I covered the Tupperware bowl with a melamine plate.

The plate melted to the bowl.  And parts of the plate’s coating came off and left chips in the vegetables.

Yikes.

I have since looked on the internet and found that you shouldn’t microwave melamine plates.

I did not know this.

I know it now.

Picking bits of white brittle plastic out of one’s vegetables helps to bring this lesson home.  So does finding those bits when you later eat those vegetables.  They are very crunchy.

I am also thinking Tupperware and our new microwave are not getting along either – since I now have a Tupperware bowl with a very wavy edge around the rim.

Now on the way to our house are Corelle dinner plates and Pyrex bowls.

Both of which are specifically advertised to be microwave safe.

Who knew I had to get so traditional to be able to use my new appliance?

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s